KIOXIA Group’s Environmental Policy ensures we conduct business in a way that enhances and preserves the environment. Through purposeful, sustainable actions, we’re prioritizing being responsible stewards of the environment to do our part in maintaining our planet’s health for years to come.
KIOXIA Group considers environmental stewardship to be one of our primary responsibilities, and we comply with associated laws and regulations, developing products that limit our environmental impact and taking systematic and globally accredited steps to reduce our pollution and greenhouse gas emissions throughout our entire value chain.
KIOXIA Group has formulated the KIOXIA Group Environmental Policy, which expresses our basic philosophy about the environment and is shared with the entire Group.
KIOXIA Group’s Environmental Policy
In addition to complying with environmental laws and regulations in the regions in which it operates, KIOXIA Group considers environmental stewardship to be one of our primary responsibilities. We take actions to limit our environmental impact throughout our supply chain of memory, applied, and related software products that support information infrastructure. From taking systematic and globally accredited steps to reduce our pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from our manufacturing processes, to regularly auditing and reviewing our activities to constantly improve our environmental management system, KIOXIA Group takes deliberate action to ensure efficient and effective operations.
- We strive to make sustainable memory, applied, and related software products by using high-capacity, miniaturized and power-saving technologies. We also perform ongoing environmental assessments of our products and manufacturing processes, as well as a targeted effort to reduce our overall raw material usage.
- We are doing our part to help prevent global warming through initiatives that directly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This includes the development of energy-saving technologies – especially within power systems and manufacturing machinery – productivity improvements, and introducing clean energies.
- We purposefully take actions aligned with the “three Rs” – reduce, reuse, recycle. Specifically, we focus on developing resource-saving technologies and implementing productivity efficiencies, as well as limiting the use of water resources around our plant sites and returning water used in production to the environment after effective purification treatment.
- We limit environmental risk in our operations by being conscious of the chemicals we use in production and developing technologies that reduce our use of certain chemicals. Through responsible handling and management of production-related chemicals, we also strive to prevent associated pollution.
- We strive to reduce the impact of our business activities on biodiversity, and pursue activities that aim to preserve biodiversity in order to help conserve the environment.
- We regularly disclose information and updates on our sustainability efforts – including new energy-saving technologies – through environmental advertising, exhibitions, media, and collaboration with various stakeholders including the local communities in which we operate.
- We underscore the importance of environmental stewardship with our employees, who promise to keep sustainability top-of-mind in all business activities.
This Environmental Policy is core to KIOXIA Group’s operations – it is available internally to global employees of KIOXIA Group and externally to customers, media, and the general public. We are committed to pursuing corporate activities that are in line with this policy.
February 1st, 2020
President and Chief Executive Officer
KIOXIA Holdings Corporation
Environmental Management Promotion
KIOXIA Group has set up an Environmental Planning and Promotion Group within the Production Technology Promotion Division to promote environmental management. The Environmental Planning and Promotion Group plans and proposes strategies to address social issues and Company environmental measures and compiles environment-related data from workplaces and manufacturing bases within Japan and overseas. It also holds an environmental management review (chaired by the President & CEO with attendees including Executive Officers) every half-year, in addition to reviewing measures involving the environment. Since May 2021, the Board of Directors has discussed key issues flagged in reports from the Sustainability Committee or arising in Sustainability Strategy Meetings.
KIOXIA Group’s Environmental Management
Promoting the Environmental Management System
KIOXIA Group has obtained ISO 14001:2015 certification at its Head Office, domestic manufacturing sites, and at Solid State Storage Technology Corporation, an overseas manufacturing subsidiary.
Environmental Education and Awareness-Raising
KIOXIA Group in Japan provides environmental education to newly recruited graduates, mid-career hires, and others, as well as legal training based on environment-related laws and regulations. In addition, environmental education is provided each year to all employees (including temporary workers) and officers via e-learning.